3.23.2010

Your Ticket to the Mobile Shakedown Cruise: Sites vs. Apps

Stop obsessing about apps, go back to optimizing sites for mobile --  Google message, repeated at DEMO yesterday.  Here's what I say to that -- OKAY, let's do that. It's less expensive, it's inevitable, and it is really no different from packaging the "whateveritis" for delivery as a mobile app -- whoops, we seem to have come full circle.  I think it's all the same thing, when you apply the advice to the actual real world.

Looking out at my domain of content and interactions available to handling in either way, every single one that I see would start with the same ten tasks, whether aiming at app or access. Here again is another example of the developers of demos and the visionaries creating philosophical discussions that are not very useful for those of us standing in the trench next to the broken pipe.

It's all esoteric development skill sets and it looks like there's a lot of overlap, if you look for it and plan for it. In the real world, I'd rather not choose between them -- I'd rather build the new presentation skin for all this legacy "whateveritis" using the techniques that optimize a platform-straddling stance. I need it available to both as the debate boils on.

It's under the skin that the work needs to be done -- a mobile app, a mobile access are all looking for a clarity of UI that I still need to develop. I'd better get us started on that. 

You guys can keep arguing about apps vs. sites. We have a business to run.

Posted via web from Knowledge Management Online

B to B Participation